Friday 30 November 2012

Sacrilege - Chapter 18

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN



I must have fainted.  On coming round, I recalled the gunshot. “Am I dead?” I demanded of Danny who was kneeling over me, concern etched on his pale face.
Danny grinned. “Not unless I am, too, and I’m still breathing as far as I know.” My hazy vision cleared and I could make out Shifty standing a little farther back. “It’s okay,” said Danny, “he’s a copper.”
I had no immediate answer to that so concentrated on getting to my feet with Danny’s help.
“We need to get out of here now,” Shifty told us in a tone that brooked no argument.
“How can we trust you?” I wanted to know.
Shifty nodded to where Ralph Packard lay bound, gagged and bleeding. “It’s only a flesh wound,” he assured me, said anticipating my next question. “If it was down to me, I’d leave the old bugger to bleed to death. But that wouldn’t go down too well with my superiors so, much against my better judgement, I’ve patched him up for now.”
“Come on, Dad, you can ask questions later,” Danny insisted. “We haven’t time to hang about.”
But I stood firm, confronting Shifty with an accusing look. “It was you, wasn’t it? You killed Ginny Sharp. Don’t deny it. I saw you leaving Grantham Court.”
“Quite possibly since I live there,” said Shifty. “Now, Danny’s right. We need to get a move on, okay?”
“I don’t believe you.” I was in no mood for prevarication. “Why did you kill Ginny Sharp?”
“I didn’t.”
“So who did?”
“I don’t know. I heard a noise. By the time I got there, whoever killed Ginny had already done a runner. It had to be someone Ginny knew, though, that’s for sure. There were no raised voices, no sounds of a scuffle, nothing. I would have heard since I was next door.”
“You were next door?” I was incredulous and even less inclined to believe a word the man said than ever.
“Phil arranged it. He asked me to keep an eye on things after what happened to your brother last time.” Grudgingly, I felt inclined to believe him. He went on, “I saw Ginny arrive at the flat and I saw your brother leave. I saw no one else. According to Ginny’s mobile phone, she hadn’t made any calls that day. The only calls received were from her sister Heather and Miles Packard.”
“Miles Packard, the swine!” I exclaimed involuntarily. Like father, like son. Both had the killer instinct. But Miles…he had to be the serial killer. If I’d had any doubts before, I was certain of it now.
“We haven’t got time for this, we have to find Teresa!” Danny was getting impatient.
“Danny’s right about one thing. We need to leave here…now,” Shifty agreed and glared at Danny, “But no heroics, okay?  I’ll see you to the nearest street exit. Then you and Laurence can make your way back to the widow’s house and leave the rest to the professionals.”
“But the auction…” I heard myself wailing, “It’s here, not Mile End like the police think.”
“I am the police, remember? And I’m right here. So is Phil. Believe me, reinforcements are on their way. All we have to do is find a way to keep things on hold until they get here.”
“Easier said than done,” I said somewhat unnecessarily.
Shifty merely shrugged. “You can always rely on your Phil to come up with the goods. You should know,” he added with a wry smile that didn’t strike me as in the least bit shifty any more. Even so, my fragile sensibilities were quick to react.
“He’s not ‘my’ Phil,” I retorted and then came over faint again as I realized what I had said.
Shifty lent me a supporting arm for which I was grateful. At the same time, it struck me as ludicrous that I should keep thinking of him as Shifty.  Before I could ask him his name, however, Danny took it into his head to run out into the yard.
“Hey, Danny, wait!” Shifty called in a loud, harsh whisper. He removed his arm and left me struggling to keep from falling in a heap on the floor again.
I watched in horror as Shifty, too, disappeared from view. “Wait for me!” I wanted to yell, but remembered just in time to keep quiet. Instead, I ran after them just as fast as my shaky legs would carry me.
There was no moon in view, only a watery light filtering through a low hanging blanket of cloud. It was enough to help me locate Shifty who was standing at one side of the warehouse, staring upwards. I followed his line of vision and let out an involuntary gasp. I could just about make out a figure climbing up a fire escape at the near side the warehouse. It had to be Danny. I could only watch, transfixed with mounting apprehension as he clambered on to the roof and made his way towards what I could only assume was a trapdoor or skylight. Seconds later, he had descended out of sight.
I ran to join Shifty who was less than pleased to see me.
“We have to go after him,” I panted. “There’s no telling what he might do. He’s determined to play the hero and rescue Teresa but…well…I have my doubts,” I confessed.
“You and me both,” Shifty growled. “Look, keep straight ahead for another fifty yards then bear right and you’ll see a gate. Don’t stop till you’re well away from here. If you’ll take my advice, you’ll go back to the widow’s house. I’ll be in touch just as soon as I have anything to say. Now, get going.”
“Not on your Nelly,” I told him straight. “If you think I’m deserting Danny in his hour of need, you can think again!”
“Shit!” Shifty swore softly. “That’s all I need, a have-a-go hero and a bleeding drama queen!” But he saw I was determined. “Okay, but be sure and stay close to me, do exactly as I say and keep your mouth shut, okay?  I don’t want to hear a sound out of you unless it is absolutely necessary, alright? No question, no arguments. You just do exactly as I say, okay?” he repeated. “I don’t want to hear you so much as breathe, understand?” I put my finger to my lips to show that I did. “Give me strength!” was the last thing I heard him mutter before we made our dash for the fire escape.
The metal ladder stretched higher than I had first thought. We were barely half way up when I began to feel dizzy. The moon chose that moment to break through a gap in the clouds, flooding the yard with an eerie white light. At the same time, the back door of the club opened and several figures emerged. Male voices drifted to where we clung to the cold metal rungs, silently praying the men below would not glance up and spot us.
I froze and shut my eyes.
The voices faded and I heard a door slam. I opened my eyes to discover that Shifty had already begun climbing again.
In vain, I willed my legs to move.
“Come on!” Shifty hissed. He had reached the roof and was lying on his belly peering down at me.
Again, I attempted to move but without success. I began to panic.
“Oh, stay there then. See if I care!” Another low hiss nicked my flesh like a bullet. The scene in the shed returned to haunt me.  I forced myself to look up and opened my mouth to whisper to Shifty that I couldn’t move.
But Shifty had gone. The moon, too, had disappeared again. It was nothing short of terror that galvanised me into action. Seconds later, I was crouched on the warehouse roof, too relieved even to be scared any more.
Shifty beckoned impatiently.
We dropped several feet to a mezzanine floor strewn with straw and littered with boxes of various sizes, some open, some not.  There was no sign of Danny. I peered over the edge to the scene below. The auction was well underway. Two naked young women were being paraded on a makeshift stage. Each wore a number. They were in a spotlight that made it hard to make out their features from where I lay.
Where the devil has Danny got to?
“So what am I bid for number eleven?” a cretin I took to be the auctioneer called out while another dragged a whimpering number eleven forward so the customers could get a better view. “A good little earner, great tits…what more could you ask? Oh, and she’s only sixteen.” He called out to the subject of everyone’s eager attention, “Come on, love, show us that cute little bum of yours!”
Cretin number two forced the girl to turn around and slapped her rump before swinging her round again and squeezing her breasts.  There were jeers, cheers and spasmodic applause. “Now, now, Chris, we’ll have no manhandling the merchandise if you don’t mind. No one here wants soiled goods, sight?” he faced the crowd, leering. “Time enough for that when she’s paying off the mortgage for you, eh?”
Raucous laughter made my stomach heave.
“Come on now, who will start the bidding for this luscious, scrumptious, sexy little virgin?”
“A thousand pounds!” someone yelled.
“On your bike!” the auctioneer shouted to the sound of more laughter that sent shivers up and down my spine.
“Five thousand,” someone else called out.
“For a virgin…?” The cretin made no attempt to conceal his disgust.
The bidding continued until the hapless number seven was handed over to a tall bespectacled man who promptly handed her over to someone closely resembling one of the Packard’s gorillas who promptly dragged her away through a side door.
“Now, ladies and gentleman, feast your eyes on this little beauty!” the auctioneer cried and the only young woman remaining on the stage was pushed forward.  I didn’t want to look. It felt wrong. It was with some difficulty that I prevented myself from retching several times already. Even so, my eyes were drawn irresistibly to the stage where the naked young woman was being paraded by cretin number two.  I wanted to shut my eyes but didn’t, couldn’t. Something about the woman struck me a vaguely familiar. I screwed up my eyes to focus more clearly. Somehow, I managed to stifle the cry on my lips.
It was Agnes Musoke.
Not until Agnes was led away, sobbing, through the same side door by another gorilla did I feel Danny’s hot breath on the back of my neck. I wanted to ask what he thought he was playing at, disappearing like that, but he put a finger to his lips and I had to settle for an accusing glare.
Predictably, Danny merely grinned, adding insult to injury with a mischievous wink. Next, he crawled over to Shifty and put his mouth to the policeman’s ear. By now, I was beginning to get used to the idea that Shifty was a copper. At the same time, I continued to nurse reservations about the man I could not have put into words.  Moreover, as I watched the pair exchange urgent whispers, I began to feel excluded and resentful. Churlishly, I looked away and pretended to be more interested in what was happening on the stage below.
I did not have to pretend for long.
“Now, here’s a real treat for you gents. Isn’t she gorgeous?” the auctioneer was shouting above more jeers, cheers, and abundant wolf whistles.
Looking very scared and wearing only a pair of black panties and matching bra besides the collar around her neck, Jackie was led across the stage on a leash like a dog being put through its paces by none other than Miles Packard.
 Danny poked me in the ribs and indicated that we were leaving but not to stand up and stay in a crouching position. I had cramp in one of my legs and had to bite my lip to keep from complaining as I struggled to get up while contriving to remain bent double. Shifty was already on his feet and seemed to be waiting to take his cue from Danny. 
Away from the edge of the mezzanine platform, we were in heavy shadow so able to stand up, much to my relief. Danny was well ahead and gingerly opening a door I would never have noticed, it blended so well with the surrounds. Shifty was at his side in seconds. I could only limp towards them as fast as my cramp would permit.
Jackie’s frightened expression continued to haunt me.
The door led to a narrow passage way and another to a flight of wooden steps. Danny was wearing trainers but indicated that Shifty and I should remove our shoes. Shifty nodded approvingly. Although I had misgivings about splinters, I complied anyway and crept down the stairs in my socks, one of which I couldn’t help noticing, had a gaping hole in the big toe.  The ground floor was noisy as well as dusty. It was a relief to sit on the bottom stair and replace my shoes.  I could hear the booming yet slightly squeaky voice of the auctioneer calling for more bids and my heart went out to poor Jackie. Poor Agnes, too, it was all so appalling.
How had the Packards discovered Agnes was in London, I wondered, and where was Teresa?
“Police…!” The cry suddenly went up and was soon being echoed in every direction. All hell broke out. Suddenly there were shouts, several shots and the sound of running footsteps pounding the entire building.
Danny did not hesitate but flung open the door and burst into the room. Shifty close on his heels, was now brandishing a gun.
The room was relatively small but crowded. After the gloom of the passageway, the glare from several 100 watt bulbs in lights dangling from the ceiling made it impossible to focus clearly at first.
Several scantily clad women began screaming.
Shifty and Danny were rolling on the floor, grappling with two men. Why didn’t Shifty use his gun, I wondered?  My vision began to clear.  I saw a third man grab one of the women and head for the door. I recognized the woman as Agnes Musoke and blocked their path.
“Get out of my way!” the burly fellow snarled.
“Let her go and I’ll think about it,” I said. It wasn’t that I was feeling in the least bit brave. I simply opened my mouth and the words tumbled out. Nor did I feel any braver when he produced a gun from his jacket pocket and pointed it at me. “Move, or else…!” he snarled again.
I stood my ground. Agnes leaned across and grabbed the gun. They wrestled for it briefly.
The gun went off. Agnes dropped to the floor.
“You bastard…!” I screamed and tackled the brute in a frenzy that lent me more strength than I would normally have been able to bring to bear against someone so much bigger than me.  In no time at all, however, I was on my back, a huge clenched fist about to come crashing down on my jaw bone.
Another shot rang out. 
My assailant swore loudly and slumped forward, pinioning me to the floor. Blood pouring from his mouth and a stale body smell threatened to overwhelm me. Danny dragged him off me just as I was feeling inclined to surrender to unconsciousness and be rid of this nightmare once and for all.
Shifty was standing by the door, gun in hand, covering the third man. “Don’t be afraid,” he told the terrified women, “The police are here to help you, not make things worse.” It was plain from their expressions that they did not believe him.
The women fled, not in the direction I expected but through another door I hadn’t noticed.
Danny knelt over Agnes and cradled her head in his lap. I joined him. “Where’s Teresa? Tell me. Agnes, please,” he pleaded with the inert form.
“I think she’s dead,” I told him and felt for a pulse. I found one but it was very weak and my eyes filled with tears.
“Don’t write her off just yet, don’t you dare!” Danny sobbed over the beautifully arranged head of black hair.
I opened my mouth to protest then closed it again as Agnes opened her eyes and tried to speak. “Teresa…with Vince…the cellar…a way out…” Her voice tailed away and it quickly became obvious that the lovely eyes staring up at us saw nothing.
“Poor, poor Agnes,” I murmured. “She deserved so much better.”
But Danny had already scrambled to his feet and was yelling at the man at whom Shifty was still pointing the gun. “The cellar, which way?” he yelled.
The man remained sullen and silent.  Before even Shifty realized his intention, Danny had grabbed the gun and was aiming it unflinchingly at the figure pressed against the door. “Either you tell me where the cellar is or I will shoot your fucking head off.”  No one doubted that he meant it.
“Don’t be a fool Danny;” cried Shifty, edging forward. “Give me the gun.”
Danny cocked the weapon.  I winced. I’d forgotten he had become familiar with guns in the shady world from which I had rescued him only a few years ago. “You have five seconds to tell me the quickest way to the cellar,” Danny said in a rasping voice I scarcely recognized. “One…”
“He can’t tell us if he’s dead,” I pointed out.
“Then I’ll find it myself,” Danny retorted. He continued counting, “…two…three…” he paused. “We’re wasting time. Are you going to tell me how to get to the fucking cellar or do I have to kill you? I will, you know. I ain’t bluffing.  Now, where is that cellar? Where has Vince Packard taken Teresa Karmali?” he screamed.
“Ah, but wouldn’t you like to know, eh?” a familiar voice enquired sarcastically from the doorway.
It was Miles Packard. He had a grip on Jackie’s arm and was holding a gun to her head. Almost immediately two armed police officers also appeared.
“Unless everyone drops their guns now, our gender bender friend here is dead meat!” yelled Packard.
“He means it!” cried Jackie. “Danny, please…!”
“He means it alright,” I told Danny. “The man’s a killer, you’re not. Do as he says and put the gun down. He means it, Danny!” I repeated.
“So tell us something we don’t know,” said Shifty somehow managing to sound authoritative, cynical and sympathetic all at the same time.
“Drop the guns…NOW!” Packard repeated, “and you buggers at my back can clear off too or, so help me, I’ll…” he pressed the gun barrel hard against Jackie’s temple.
“Do as he says for God’s sake!” Jackie pleaded.
Danny dropped the gun. It fell with a clatter to the floor. The thug Danny had been threatening to shoot promptly dived and retrieved it.  He pointed it at Danny with a grim, determined expression.
The police in the doorway retreated.
“Now, we’re coming through,” announced Packard coolly, “and if anyone so much as blinks an eye, I’ll blast our Jackie’s brains out. Believe me when I say I’d much rather not but…needs must as the devil drives, yeah?” 
The pair crossed the room to the second door.  I caught Jackie’s eye and mustered what I hoped was a reassuring smile.  Not a muscle in her face moved, she was that petrified.  I guessed she only managed to move at all because Packard was prodding her, the gun barrel now stuck pressed firmly against her rib cage. 
They reached the door.
Packard pushed Jackie heavily forward. She staggered, stumbled and crashed into Danny. Both went flying.
The third henchman lunged at Danny’s head with his foot. Danny let out a yelp. The same foot lashed out again. This time, Danny made no response. “Leave him Daisy and get yourself over here!” Packard told the henchman.
Hearing the burly fellow addressed as ‘Daisy’ stuck me as inordinately funny and I burst out laughing. For a split second, I was the centre of attention. It was long enough. Even Packard was momentarily distracted and oblivious to the door behind him opening slowly.
The sight of Philip standing there with a gun in his hand was like having ice cold water thrown in my face. I recovered my composure immediately.
“Drop the gun Packard,” said Philip in a strong but quiet voice that seemed to have a calming effect on everyone. Everyone, that is, except Packard. He did not hesitate but swung round, caught Philip a glancing blow and rushed past him. Philip quickly recovered his balance and ran after him.
Before I realized what was happening, Danny had made an amazing recovery, scrambled to his feet and lunged at the beefy henchman. Again, they grappled with the gun. But Danny made the most of the element of surprise. He soon had the upper hand.  In no time at all, their roles were reversed and Danny had recovered the gun.  Only, on this occasion he did not waste time pointing it but brought it crashing down against one side of the man’s head, rendering him unconscious.  Before the rest of us barely had time to catch our breaths, he had dashed off, waving the gun wildly and shouting Teresa’s name.
I caught Jackie’s eye. “Well, don’t just stand there,” she half yelled, half sobbed, “Go after him, the pair of you, before he does something stupid.”
Shifty and I gave chase.  Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw several police officers storm into the room so could at least be sure Jackie was now in safe hands.  Only fleetingly did my thoughts turn to Agnes Musoke’s untimely end and I hated myself for brushing them aside. There would be time enough for grief later.
I could only assume footsteps pounding after me belonged to the police but did not look back. Instead I focused on Shifty who was already racing well ahead.
By the time I reached an exit leading into the yard, there was no sign of him, Philip or Miles Packard. Frantically, I tried to recall the instructions that Shifty had given me earlier. My relief on reaching the gate knew no bounds.  Once in the street, I looked in all directions but still no sign of them. I took a chance and ran straight ahead, pausing at a junction to look again.  I spotted a running figure in the distance I thought was Shifty and hared after it.
By the time I reached the next junction, the only people in sight were a couple walking hand in hand some distance away in the opposite direction.  I was about to run on when a sixth sense caused me to take another look.  There was something unnatural about the way the couple were walking, sometimes quickly, sometimes much slower... as if they were out of breath perhaps? At the same time, something about the silhouettes struck a chord.  Yes, they were holding hands but the figure I took to me a man seemed to be urging is companion on or…yes, he was all but dragging her and she was resisting.
The penny dropped. It was Vince Packard and…could it be Teresa?
They turned a corner. I ran as fast as I could.  At the same corner, I lurched to a painful stop. My cramp had returned. Then I spotted them on the other side of the road. 
Packard was tugging at the doors of cars. On finding one that was open, he pushed Teresa (by now I was convinced it was her) into the back seat.  I heard a door slam then an engine revving. The next thing I knew, the car was heading towards me.
Fortunately, I did not have time to think or I would never have found the nerve to dash into the road, arms flung wide, directly in the oncoming vehicle’s path. Not until the very last minute did it veer madly across the road, go into a skid and finally crash into lamp-post.
In spite of my cramp, I loped towards the crash scene as fast as I could.
Smoke was pouring from the bonnet. Teresa’s face was pressed imploringly against the window. I tugged at the door handle. It would not give. I ripped off my shirt and wrapped my right hand in it. Gesturing my intention to Teresa, I smashed it against the rear window. Somehow, although bleeding profusely and obviously in shock, she remained alert to the immediate danger, took my hand and let me assist her to climb out of the car to safety.
It transpired that we only had seconds to spare. I had barely dragged her a few yards when the force of an explosion sent us sprawling.
By the time we had crawled to the opposite pavement and were sat with our backs to a low wall, a small crowd had gathered. The police, too, arrived within minutes.  I tried to take in the scene but everything was no more than a blur. My cramp was considerably worse. My head was throbbing and a ringing in my ears hurt something rotten.
I became aware of someone kneeling beside me and a voice demanding not unkindly, “Are you alright?”
Why, I wondered, did people invariably ask that question to other people who were clearly not alright? I did my damnedest to focus properly. The blur cleared sufficiently to make out Shifty’s concerned expression. I nodded. “Teresa?” I croaked.
“I’m fine. At least, I think so.” It was Teresa herself who answered and squeezed my hand as she spoke. “I ache all over and there seems to be a lot of blood is coming from somewhere but, yes, I’m fine.”
“Don’t try to talk Miss,” a voice I did not recognize broke through the persistent ringing in my ears. I did not even try to look and see who it was but became aware of some movement beside me. The hand, though, did not relinquish its hold on mine.
“Philip, Miles…Danny?” I spluttered.
Shifty merely shrugged.
I must have drifted in and out of consciousness briefly. I wasn’t aware of the scene having changed substantially when a voice I recognized at once reached me from a distance.
“Hey, Dad, are you okay?”
I turned my head in the direction from which it came and saw Danny wrestling with two policemen.
“Let him through!” I heard Shifty shout.
Danny raced towards us. Our eyes met only briefly before his widened in astonishment and joy upon recognizing Teresa. He reminded me of a child opening a birthday present. Danny dropped to his knees. Teresa let go of my hand. Danny seized both our free hands, tears pouring down his face.  I looked past him to the burning wreck all but wrapped round a lamp-post. It was one birthday present Vince Packard could have done without, I reflected without an ounce of compassion.
“Laurie, thank God you’re safe!” It was Philip’s voice that now penetrated my semi-conscious state and held my attention.  I looked up and peered though a smoky haze. He was looking down at me .his features drawn and etched with stress.
“Miles…?” I asked.
“In custody,” said Philip.
“You got your man then. Congratulations,” I managed to say through a fit of coughing.
Philip gave me a pained, quizzical look and went on, “Ralph will soon be under lock and key too, along with a good few other bastards. All in all, I’d say it’s been a good result. It will be a long time before the Packards will be going on any pleasure trip.”
“There’s one that won’t, that’s for sure,” I said and my gaze turned yet again on the wreck opposite. Fire fighters with hoses were now extinguishing the flames. I began to puzzle over why I hadn’t heard the fire engine arrive.
“Laurie, oh, Laurie…!” Ryan Banks was now kneeling beside me in tears. He seized my hand and lifted it to his cheek. A sweet gesture, I thought and even felt like laughing when I saw Philip scowl.
I looked turned my head. Danny was cradling Teresa in his arms. They seemed blissfully unaware of anyone or anything but each other.  Taking my time I looked from one to the other of the faces surrounding me.  Shifty grinned, waved and walked away. I reminded myself that I must find out his name. I can’t keep thinking of him as ‘Shifty’ for heaven’s sake.
I looked from Ryan to Philip and back again. As I did so, I realized that I had just made my choice between the two men.  If I’d suspected I already had, now I knew for certain. I did love Philip and always would. The trouble was I loved Ryan more. I glanced at Philip and could see he had read my mind. His hurt expression cut me to the quick. He turned abruptly on his heels and hurried after Shifty.
My mother always used to say that a decision once made is a burden lifted. Why then, I wondered, was there such a weight bearing down on me? 
Even as I gazed fondly at Ryan’s tear-stained face and squeezed the hand still holding mine, a shudder, not unlike an orgasm, passed through my whole body. Another saying to which my mother had been known to allude now and then sprung involuntarily to mind.
I felt as if someone had just walked over my grave.

To be continued on Monday