Monday 1 October 2012

Sacrilege - Chapter 1

SACRILEGE
A novel by Roger N. Taber
[Book 2 of the Laurence Fisher trilogy]

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in any retrieval systems or transmitted in any form or by any means without prior (written) permission of the author.

This is a work of fiction. Names,, characters, places and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

[Note: for a synopsis of Sacrilege, see previous post.]


 CHAPTER ONE


Now, why is it, I often wonder, that just when life is going smoothly and we are happy and contented, fate invariably interferes and turns everything on its head?
We were a happy and contented household. At least, I thought we were.
I had been living in Manchester with my partner, Philip, for nearly three years. Sharing our house and lives was Danny whom we looked upon as a son although we hadn’t formally adopted him. Danny had barged into my life, rather like fate, a few years earlier when I lived in London. Philip, too, had come into my life and similarly turned it upside down at about the same time. Danny, when I first met him, had been a rent boy. Philip was a Detective Sergeant with the Metropolitan Police. A brush with the criminal fraternity involving all three of us had necessitated a diplomatic move to Manchester.
Philip was now a Detective Inspector.
Thankfully, Danny had not only taken on a new identity, but also turned over a new leaf and was doing well at a local Further Education college. Given the huge gaps in his early education, this was no mean achievement. Moreover, he had demonstrated such an extraordinary talent for art that he had been accepted at the local art college for a first degree course commencing in September. He had turned eighteen now and was, I liked to think, a credit to Philip and me. Oh, we had our ups and downs and the usual disagreements, but on the whole, we were as close knit a little family as you might find anywhere… or so I naively believed.
Yes, life seemed to be jogging along smoothly enough, and I for one, was happy and contented.
I must have been wearing blinkers. Sadly, this is something of a Fisher trait and had seen me ruin a previous relationship with my late partner, Harry. True, Philip had been a little distant of late but I’d put that down to a quirky desire to grow a beard. Danny already had a goatee. While I have no fondness for beards, I can tolerate them. However, I hadn’t appreciated how they not only change a person’s looks, but can also affect their general disposition. Danny suddenly rediscovered girls. During his several years of abstinence and concentrating on his studies, I had often fretted about his natural personality being repressed. Now it shone through, and I was delighted with the transformation. Philip, on the other hand, became morose during the early weeks of growth and seemed to be forever following its progress in a mirror. Not content with a full beard that impressed even me, he had become obsessed with brushing and trimming the damn thing.
Inevitably, there were rows.
In spite of this sprouting of hair wherever I looked, the three of us had long since made a pact never to let the sun go down on a quarrel…and we never did. That is, until one weekend in early June.
On the Friday evening, I was home alone watching Coronation Street on TV.  Philip was working and Danny had said he was going out with some mate of his called Terry. Philip arrived home earlier than I expected. I guessed at once that something was up. He had a certain look about him that had always been a sure warning that he needed to get something off his chest. Whatever it might be, I wasn’t going to like it. “There’s some quiche left if you’re hungry and plenty of salad stuff in the fridge,” I told him while trying to read his face with baited breath and keep an attentive eye on the television at the same time.
“Thanks, Laurence. Sounds good to me,” he said cheerfully enough and disappeared into the kitchen. Not even a hug. Now I knew for sure something was up. I followed him into the kitchen.
“Where’s Danny?” he asked, taking his time surveying the contents of the fridge to avoid looking at me.
“He’s out with a friend. Shall I put the kettle on for a brew?” I did it anyway, by which time he was standing next to me, meticulously creating a salad to go with the quiche.
“Danny had a go at me at breakfast,” commented Philip in a conversational tone that did not fool me for a second. “I keep forgetting he likes to be called Dan these days.”
“He’s always having a go at me for the same reason. I ask you, what does he expect? Danny he’s always been and always will be as far as I’m concerned.”
“I suppose we should make an effort. He’s turned eighteen now, if only just. I dare say he feels Danny is a throwback to a time he’d rather forget.”
“Maybe,” I was inclined to agree. Danny hadn’t had an easy time of it during his younger years. “Even so, we’re bound to forget sometimes.”
“I dare say he can live with that, so long as we at least try.”
“Well, I will if you will.”
“Good. That’s settled then. It’s goodbye Danny, hello Dan from now on. Dan goes well with the goatee, too, don’t you think?”
“You know my feelings on the subject of beards,” I remarked more testily than I intended. Thankfully, the kettle boiled and I was able to distract myself by making a pot of tea.
Later, we sat down at the kitchen table and I watched him eat as I sipped my tea.
“I thought you were watching TV?” he muttered between mouthfuls. Philip was always inclined to mutter when playing for time.
“I thought I’d keep you company instead.”
“That’s nice.”
“Is it?”
“Of course it is.” He paused and looked across the table at me while not quite looking me in the eye. “You know how I love being with you.” He gave me a huge, warm smile before returning to pick at a lettuce leaf smothered in salad cream with his fork.
“Did you eat at the station?”
“I managed to grab a bite, yes.”
“So you won’t starve if you stop playing with that lettuce leaf long enough to tell me whatever it is you can’t face telling me.”
He laid the fork down and this time did look me in the eye. “You know me too well.” He grinned and ran his tongue, very sexily, along his lower lip.
I refused to be sidetracked. “So, are you going to tell me?”
“You’ve heard about the rise of homophobic attacks down south.”
“So what’s new?” I observed dryly.
“A serial killer, that’s what’s new.”
My heart sank. I knew what was coming next. “So?”
“So I’ve been asked to help catch the bastard.”
“You’re going south?”
“I’ve been seconded to the Met.”
“You’re going back to London?” I could not disguise my immediate panic.
“For as long as it takes to get a result, yes.”
The penny dropped. “So that’s why you grew the beard, so no one will recognize you.” It was not a question.
Philip nodded. “It’s has to be better to play safe than sorry, right? Not that I expect to run into anyone with an old score to settle, but you never know.”
“Will you be working undercover?”
“You know I can’t discuss it.”
“Can’t or won’t?”
“Okay, won’t if that’s how you prefer to see it.”
”It’s how it is,” I retorted.
“You know how it is, Laurence. I’m a copper for heaven’s sake!”
We glared at each other. I was angry and upset, the more so because I sensed he couldn’t wait to get started. “When do you leave?”
“I start Monday morning.”
“Monday…!” I was genuinely shocked. Another penny dropped. “How long have you known?”
He shrugged. “A few weeks….”
“A few weeks, and you never said a word!”
“I couldn’t.”
“Wouldn’t,” I snapped.
“Okay, wouldn’t. I didn’t want to worry you, for one thing. Besides…” his voice trailed away.
“Besides, what…?” I prompted.
“I knew how you’d react and I couldn’t face it. I love you, Laurence, and I know you love me. But when it comes to supporting me in my job you’re about as much use as wet toilet paper.”
“What do you expect? You’ve always put your job before me. How do you think it feels, always coming a poor second in your partner’s life?”
“That isn’t true,” he denied hotly, “but even if it were, you knew how it would be from the off.”
“Not quite,” I reminded him scathingly, “I only found out you were a copper by accident, remember?”
“Trust you to drag that up again. For crying out loud, Laurence, haven’t the last few years meant anything to you?”
“I used to think so. Now I’m not so sure. Maybe it’s just as well you’re going away.”
“They do say absence makes the heart grow fonder.” He grinned.
But I was in no mood to be patronised. “Maybe, maybe not, we’ll just have to wait and see, won’t we?” I scrambled up from my chair and left the room before he could see I was close to tears. I heard him call my name with an intensity of feeling that cut me to the quick.
I ran out of the house and did not stop running until I had turned the corner of our street. Now I resorted to slow, painful steps that took me to the park. Here, I sat on a bench in front of a magnificent display or roses…aware only of mischievous shadows conspiring to make me feel both guilty and scared. London had not been kind to us, Philip, Danny and me. Hadn’t it nearly cost us our lives? Now Philip was going back. Suppose, this time…
But I was saved from a surfeit of supposing by someone greeting me with surprise.
“Hi, Laurence!” a familiar voice called. It was Danny, accompanied by a pretty girl I did not recognize. Wearily, I got up and summoned a bright smile. “I want you to meet Teresa. I’m the only one allowed to call her Terri,” he added with a shy grin. “Terri, this is Laurence. Laurence, meet Teresa Karmali.”
“I am so pleased to meet you.” The girl and I shook hands. “Dan has told me a lot about you.”
“Not too much I hope,” I joked weakly, “and you shouldn’t let him call you Terri.  Teresa is a lovely name.”
“I think he is very lucky to have people like you in his life.”
I smiled, a trifle embarrassed, and sat down.
“So what are you doing moping around here?” Danny demanded with his customary directness.
“I’m not moping,” I protested.
“I called out to you twice, but you were miles away and don’t tell me you were admiring the roses either.”
“They are beautiful,” Teresa remarked.
“Don’t let me keep you,” I mumbled.
“He’s told you, hasn’t he?” said Danny in a tone that conveyed more impatience than sympathy. “Phil’s told you he’s leaving and you’ve got the hump.”
“You knew?” I flared.
“I guessed something was up and pestered him until he told me. You could have done the same. But you didn’t have a clue, did you? He’s been getting his knickers in a real twist about telling you. Sometimes I wonder about you, Laurence, I really do.”
“So why didn’t you tell me,” I demanded.
Danny shrugged. “It’s not my place. It’s between the two of you.”
“Since when has that stopped you speaking your mind?”
“Speaking your mind is one thing. Interfering is something else.”
“Really…?” I bit my tongue, but sensed he knew what I was thinking. There had been a time when interfering in people’s lives had practically been a way of life for Danny. But this was neither the time nor the place to drag up the past. He visibly tensed. I opened my mouth to say something vaguely reassuring when a car exhaust sounded off nearby.
The sudden noise made us all jump, Teresa especially. She looked around almost frantically, her pretty face wearing a frightened expression. My heart went out to her. Africa had known more than its fair share of war zones. Had she grown up in one, I wondered?
“Is she okay?” I asked Danny.
“I am fine, thank you. The bangs made me jump, that’s all.  And I can speak for myself.”
“Sorry,” I murmured apologetically.
She gave me a radiant smile.
“Apology accepted,” said Danny.  Teresa glared at him. He grinned. Her expression softened. It crossed my mind that these two might be good for each other. “We’ll be off now. Don’t wait up,” he added cheekily, “and don’t sit here sulking either. Go home and give Phil a big hug from me.”
“I am not sulking,” I insisted.
“Really…?” Danny mimicked me to perfection, still laughing as they wandered, hand in hand, into the twilight.
I remained where I sat, feeling even more sorry for myself than I had before I set out. The knowledge that Danny had known about Philip’s plans while I had been left in the dark was hard to digest. I felt…betrayed.
“A penny for them…?” A voice at my ear slipped with practised ease into my head.
“How did you know I would be here?” I growled without so much as glancing at Philip as he sat down beside me.
“Call it a lucky guess.”
“Lucky?” I snorted, “And pigs might fly. Am I really that predictable?”
“Not predictable, Laurie…well, not exactly. Not always anyway, just sometimes, especially when you’re…”
“Sulking?”
“I was going to say, unhappy.”
“And whose fault is that?”
We sat in silence for a while. I wanted him to put his arm around me but he didn’t, probably because he thought I would push it away. Would I, I wondered? Was I really such a contrary so-and-so?
I sighed.
“It’s the job, Laurence, you know that. It has nothing to do with you and me. We’re rock solid…aren’t we?”
“So why did you tell Danny before you told me?” I grumbled. “If we’re so rock solid, how come you don’t trust me?”
“Now you’re just being silly. Of course I trust you. I love you, for heaven’s sake. I knew you’d be upset, that’s all.”
I looked up. “I’m more than upset, I’m worried sick, and you haven’t even gone yet!”
“You know me, Laurie. I can take care of myself. I’m bloody good at my job, as well you know. So have a little faith, yeah?  Manchester is no copper’s picnic, you know. But I’m still here, aren’t I?”
“There’s no comparison with London,” I pointed out.
“You wouldn’t say that if you were in my shoes.  Believe you me, down south has no monopoly on crime.”
“But if someone recognizes you, one of Fat Georgie’s old cronies…”
“Fat Georgie is behind bars. He’s history. The criminal fraternity will have moved on, along with the rest of the world. No one gives a damn about Fat Georgie any more except maybe his mother if he has one. More fool her, in that case. Besides, Georgie committed the cardinal sin of getting caught. I’ll be in no more danger in London than I am on the streets of Manchester.”
“So why grow a beard?”
“Why, just to annoy you of course. What other reason could I have?” He put an arm around me and I let my head rest on his shoulder.
“I’d die if anything happened to you.”
“Nothing will.”
“You don’t know that.”
“Maybe not, but I have to believe it. Otherwise, I’d never be able to get out of bed in the mornings.”
Another long silence followed but this time a comfortable one. “Danny has a new girlfriend. I’ve met her. They were here just before you came along. She seems nice. Better still, I think she might be good for him. She has spirit.”
“So has Danny, even if it’s lost its edge in recent years.”
“Exactly…. I think Teresa might restore it, but in the nicest possible way.” I added hastily.
“She’s no Poppy then?”
“In no way, shape or form, as far as I can tell.” Poppy had been Danny’s first girlfriend. They had lived on the streets of London together. She had been raped and murdered by Fat Georgie, their pimp. Tragically, it was not an uncommon end for a young person on the streets of any major city. “Danny said I should give you a big hug,” I said, anxious to prevent my thoughts going down that particular road.
“So?”
We hugged. It was a comfort. So, too, the pungent smell of roses and the sound of birds singing. It was as if they were telling me to make the most of what life had to offer…while it lasted.
Philip had the rest of the weekend free and planned to drive to London on Monday morning. We went to bed early on Friday and got up late on Saturday.  On Saturday morning we went shopping. In the afternoon we drove to Hollingworth Lake and enjoyed a stroll in the Country Park.  That evening we took in a movie. Afterwards, Philip surprised me by taking me to dinner at Manchester’s exclusive Panaceas Bar and Restaurant. “We’ll never get in and, besides you can’t afford it,” was my first reaction.
“The table is already booked and let me worry about what I can afford. Besides,” kissing me on the lips, “you’re worth it.”
We had a wonderful meal and our own private booth gave us plenty of scope to be silly and romantic, not to mention heady on a very expensive wine. Later in bed, his arms around me, a feeling of panic came over me again. “Your address, you must leave me your address and phone number in London. Now, before we forget.”
His grip on me tightened perceptibly. “I can’t.”
“What do you mean, you can’t?”
“I can’t tell you because I don’t even know myself.”
“In other words, you’ll be undercover and a prime target for any nasty piece of work who might rumble you.” I felt tears sting my eyes.
“I’ll be fine, honest.”
“It’s dangerous.”
“So is crossing the road.”
“I’m scared.”
“So am I.” He licked the lobe of my ear.
“Then don’t go.”
“You know better than that. It’s my job.”
“You’ll be sure let me know how you are?”
“I’ll call you as often as I can.”
“Every day…?”
“As often as I can,” he repeated in a tone that told me plainer, than any words, to please shut up and accept the inevitable. I sighed. What choice did I have?
We made love.
On Sunday, Danny amazed us both by bringing us brunch in bed. “I thought you might want to lie-in,” he said grinning from ear to ear.
I glanced at the clock on my bedside table. “It’s past noon already!” I protested.
“I take it you had a good night then, yeah?”
“Fantastic.”
“Be my guest,” said Philip, regarding Danny with bleary eyes.
“Pardon…?”
“My wallet, it’s in my suit jacket. Help yourself. Since I can’t fault the room service, I can hardly begrudge a good tip can I?”
“You think I’m doing this because I want to cadge a few quid? I’m doing it because I love you guys and this is your last day together for a while and I wanted to make you happy.” Danny was suitably indignant.
“It’s a lovely gesture, Danny, and we appreciate it, we really do,” I assured him and gave Philip an unsubtle dig in the ribs with my elbow.
“We love you too Danny,” Philip yawned, “Will twenty quid be enough?”
“You are so horrible to me! I don’t have to stand here and take this bullshit.”
“Okay, thirty and not a penny more,” Philip grunted as he tucked in to a tuna bake, new potatoes and salad.
“Thanks Phil, you’re a star!” Danny was out of the door in no time then put his head round and treated us both to a huge grin. “Have fun. Oh, and good luck in London, Phil. Hurry home, yeah?”
“Look after Laurence for me, yeah?” Phil parried with a lopsided grin that spoke volumes.
“You know I will.”
“No taking him for a soft touch, okay?”
“As if…!” The head disappeared. We only half-listened for the sound of feet taking the stairs two at a time then the front door crashing shut some five minutes later.
“This is delicious. If he gets nowhere fast as an artist, he could get a job as a chef any time,” Philip remarked.
“I am not a soft touch,” I protested, “You’re the one who gave him thirty quid, not me.”
“I’d have given him forty to keep him from hanging around the house all day and spoiling our plans.”
“Plans, what plans?”
“Later. Eat your brunch.”
“What plans?” I insisted.
”I thought we’d have a love-in.”
“Oh, that.” I responded to his wink in kind and we ate with relish. The next morning I awoke to find a note on Philip’s pillow:
My Darling Laurence,
I know how you hate goodbyes and so do I. Besides, you were sleeping so soundly I hadn’t the heart to wake you. I will call you as soon as I can.
All my love,
Philip x x x
PS Don’t let Danny run rings around you.
I burst into tears and was so miserable I felt marginally justified about taking the day off work.
It is all very well for people to say it helps to keep busy when all you want to do is wallow in self-pity, but when you’re stuck with a job where even keeping busy sends you up the wall, it’s not always the best policy. Although circumstances had all but dictated I move to the Manchester offices of my old software firm, I had also looked forward to a change of scenery. What I needed, of course, was a change of direction altogether. I might even have taken that step if Philip and Danny hadn’t been part of the new package.  For a while, it seemed my life was finally on track. I had all I’d ever wanted…happiness, security, the kind of family life I dreamed about but for which my own family had sold me short for years. .
I pulled myself up sharply. We were a family…Philip, Danny and me.  And I was happy…wasn’t I?
I not only missed Philip’s departure but also overslept altogether. Danny had left for college by the time I made my way downstairs, shuffled into the kitchen in my dressing gown, put the kettle on and made some breakfast. I was missing Philip already. So much so that I burned the toast for thinking about him and put sugar in my tea. I never take sugar but Philip always did.
Eventually, I went into town and decided to treat myself, although to what I hadn’t a clue. Somehow, I found myself browsing shelves in a bookstore. A popular paperback caught my eye but the lighting was poor (it couldn’t be my eyes, surely?) and I took it to the front window so I could read the blurb on the back cover.
For no reason, I glanced up and saw Danny and Teresa walking on the other side of the road. I looked at my watch and frowned. Danny should have been in college. I had just started to wonder what Teresa did for a living or whether she, too, was a student when a car pulled up just ahead of them.  I saw a tall, black man step out of the passenger seat and say something. Teresa became very animated. Was it anger, defiance? A mixture of both, I decided. She looked scared too. For his part, Danny was furious. He started shouting and making gestures that were anything but placatory. I was reminded of the old, recalcitrant Danny that Philip and I had plucked from a life of street crime barely three years ago.
My heart sank.
I wanted to run out of the shop, dash across the road and demand to know what the hell was going on. I did nothing of the sort of course but remained, rooted to the spot, eyes riveted on the unpleasant scenario being played out opposite. No one seemed to be paying it any attention but me. Everyone else was going about his or her own business as usual.
The tall man caught Teresa by the arm. She tried to break free. Danny attempted to intervene. I expected a fight to break out. Instead, all three froze. Seconds later, first Teresa then Danny got into the rear seat of the car. The tall man stood and watched then slammed the door shut before returning to the front passenger seat.
The car, a Mercedes-Benz estate sped away.
“Did you see that?” I asked a young woman standing next to me, her head in a book. “Something happened across the road. Two men and a girl were…well, I think they might have been kidnapped.” She glanced up, took one look at me and wandered off towards the rear of the store. ”Honestly, there’s no accounting for the sheer ignorance of some people!” I muttered.
Depositing the book in my hands on the nearest available shelf space, I ran outside.
Had I really used the word, kidnapped? “I can’t believe I said that,” I said aloud and several passers-by gave me funny looks. There has to be a perfectly simple, logical explanation. Well, doesn’t there…? I would tackle Danny about it when he came home. For now, I could but enjoy the sunshine and treat myself as I had planned. In the event, I did neither, but caught a bus home.
The house seemed unbearably empty. When Danny was out and Philip was working, I was usually happy doing whatever needed to be done or just relaxing with a book…whatever. Yet, this was different. Philip was miles away in London and since I didn’t even have an address or a number to call, he might as well have been on the other side of the world. Danny, though, I kept reassuring myself, would be home later.
The hours passed.
I stayed up to watch the late film on TV, realized I had seen it before and dozed off. Midnight came and went, still no sign of Danny. Perhaps he had stayed over at Teresa’s?  But in my heart I knew he hadn’t. For a start he would have telephoned or sent a text message. For all his faults, there was no way Danny would leave me to worry myself sick like this, especially knowing that I was here on my own.  I kept replaying the scene I had witnessed at the bookstore window over and over in my head. It was like a compulsion. I couldn’t help myself.  In spite of endless cups of tea, I could neither relax nor shrug off the feeling that something was terribly wrong.
An awful sense of déjà vu descended on me and refused to budge. I told myself that Danny may well have been an incorrigible little toe rag once but he’d changed, grown up.  He had a new life now and a good one. He’d never do anything to jeopardise that…would he?
Eventually, exhausted, I fell asleep. I awoke, completely disoriented, to find myself stretched out, fully clothed, on the sofa.  I felt stiff, uncomfortable and needed to go to the loo. As I mounted the stairs, events of the previous day came flooding back and I looked in Danny’s room without even bothering to knock. Needless to say, his bed had not been slept in.
I felt as though I hadn’t slept a wink, something that several cups of strong coffee did precious little to remedy. I called hospitals, friends and the college. No one had any news of Danny. None of his friends had seen him for a couple of days. Nor did anyone have any information about Teresa other than they thought she was originally from Uganda and Danny was crazy about her.
All the following day I willed Philip to call but, of course, he didn’t. When I finally heard from him on the Friday, it was from a public call box. “Philip?” My heart skipped a beat at the sound of his voice but my delight was short-lived.
“Hi, it’s great to hear your voice, Laurie. I’m fine. Hope you are too. Miss and love you heaps. Sorry, I can’t chat.” The sharp click of a receiver being hastily replaced was like a shot exploding in my ear. 
I could have cried. There had been so much I wanted to tell him and he still didn’t even know Danny was missing.
Common sense did its best to reassure me. At least you know he’s alright. That’s the main thing, surely? As for Danny, he can take care of himself. He’ll turn up soon, as bright and cheerful as ever, you’ll see. I felt comforted but nowhere near reassured.
The days dragged on.
Three weeks passed. Philip rang once more but, again, did not give me time to get a word in. I kept agonizing about whether to call the police and report Danny missing. Several times, I resolved to do just that but changed my mind before my fingers had finished dialling 999. I couldn’t be sure Danny had been kidnapped and, besides, the Home Office had warned us to keep a low profile after arranging Danny’s ‘death’ only three years earlier.
When my mobile phone rang and I didn’t recognize the number, I barely hesitated before taking the call. I knew Philip would not risk calling from a number that could be easily traced and suspected Danny would take the same precaution. It might even be someone with news of either…
“Hello?”
“Mister Fisher?”
“Yes.” I didn’t know the voice.
“My name is Agnes Musoke. We’ve never met but I know your son, Dan.”
A lump rose in my throat. Danny often told people I was his dad although his real father was alive and living in London. There had never been any love lost between them. He was separated from Danny’s mother who, by his own admission, had never demonstrated any maternal feelings towards him. “Do you know where he is?” I pleaded.
“Not exactly,”she hedged, “But I think he will be with Teresa and I have a good idea where she might be. Is there somewhere private we can talk?”
“You can come to my house.”
“Okay. But I don’t finish work until late. I could get there for, say, about one o’clock?”
“Have a heart,” I groaned, “I have to get up for work tomorrow.”
“Please, Mister Fisher, it’s a matter of life and death. Believe me, I do not exaggerate.”
“Okay. I’ll wait up for you. Do you have a pen handy? I’ll give you the address.”
“That won’t be necessary. I know where you live.”
“Oh?”  But the line was dead. I stared at the tiny screen. “Ring, Philip. Damn you, ring!” It wasn’t only that I trusted him to advise me what to do next. The sound of his voice alone would have been enough to make me feel less helpless and ineffective, if only marginally so. More importantly, it would make me feel less…alone.
I spent the rest of the day on tenterhooks waiting for the phone ring. Every time it did, my heart leapt to my mouth. An officious sounding woman from the college called to ask if Dan was sick. I told her he was and, no, I wasn’t sure if he would be well enough to attend classes tomorrow. Then the same wrong number called three times.
A friend of Danny’s, Greg Staples, whom I had met several times and liked, called to leave a message since Danny wasn’t answering his mobile. “Will you ask him to call me as soon as he gets in touch?” I promised I would. Only fleetingly did it strike me as odd that Greg had said ‘as soon as he gets in touch’ and not ‘when you see or hear from him’ as I probably would have done.
Outwardly I raged at any and every object in my line of vision. “It’s so bloody typical of Danny to dump me in it like this and trust Philip to disappear just when I need him!” Inwardly, I was becoming increasingly frightened for the young man I had come to look upon as the son I would never have.
It was after 2.00 am when Agnes Musoke arrived. I showed her into the sitting room.
She was very apologetic.  “I’m sorry it is so late. It isn’t easy for me to get away.”
“Can I get you anything…a cup of tea, coffee, something stronger?”
“A glass of water would be nice.”  She followed me into the kitchen and we sat around the same table where the three of us - Philip, Danny and me - had enjoyed many a meal and a good few arguments. “This room is just as Dan describes it. I feel as though I have been here many times.”
“You’ve known each other a while then?”
“We started at college on the same day.”
“Oh? He’s ever mentioned you.”
“We are friends, but not close friends. We chat a lot at the college but nowhere else. You must understand. I don’t make friends easily. But Dan, he is very easy to talk to.”
“And Teresa, she’s a student too?”
“She is not a student, no. But she is the same as me in other ways.”
“Oh?”
“We are both illegal immigrants.”
“Oh.”
“We did not travel together. We met up later. Like me, she was tricked into believing this country was the next best thing to paradise. Like me, the people responsible for bringing us here put her on the streets as a prostitute. Like me, she escaped.”
I digested this news with difficulty. “And now they’ve snatched her back?” I asked after a long, awkward pause. Agnes nodded gravely.
“And Danny, how does he fit into all this?”
“He doesn’t. As far as they are concerned he is a nuisance, nothing more and, as such…expendable.”
I swallowed bile. “Will you help me find him?”
“I wish I could but I can’t and won’t risk that again. As it is, I’m frightened. Teresa would not knowingly betray me but it only takes one slip of the tongue. For now, I will stay in Manchester but for how long…” she shrugged…”is anyone’s guess.”
“So why are you here?”
She rummaged in her bag for a piece of paper and wrote on it. “This is the address of someone who may be able to help you. At least she will probably know if Danny is alive or…”
 The unspoken threat hung over us like the sword of Damocles and I fought off a desire to throw up with some difficulty.
“I must go now. Thank you for your time. Good luck.”
We shook hands.  As I closed the front door behind her minutes later, I couldn’t help wondering if I would ever see Agnes Musoke again? I looked at the piece of paper I continued to clutch in one hand and froze. I didn’t recognize the address but I knew the name, Ginny Sharp.
I groaned. If Ginny Sharp was mixed up in this little caper, Danny was as good as dead already.

To be continued on Friday