Monday 9 July 2012

Predisposed to Murder - Chapter Twenty-Eight

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT



“How can anyone be expected to work in a bloody fog?” Winter yelled at the little white dog that continued to doze in the detective’s favourite armchair, seemingly unperturbed but for partially opening one eye and promptly closing it again. “Everything is a muddle, a complete and utter muddle! Muddle, fog, and not a clue in sight to get a real grip on! It’s too much. Am I a copper or am I a copper?  Or I am I past it...?” This final, sobering thought propelled him to the drinks cabinet where he poured a generous glass of his favourite malt whiskey.
Winter held the glass up the light admiringly before releasing a long, heavy sigh. “I dare say muddle and fog is all I deserve for knocking back scotches in the middle of the bloody day. It’s not as if I even have anyone to enjoy them with!” he grumbled, but Stanley barely deigned to stir. He took a long sip and headed, swaying slightly, to the armchair whose canine occupant was suddenly wide awake. “That’s my chair,” Winter fumed, “...so you can damn well push off and find your own spot!” he yelled.  At first, Stanley tried looking forlorn before finally giving up and jumping to the floor, performing an adroit belly flop on a rug in front of the fireplace as he did so.
Winter sank into the armchair, heady with a sense of victory for having got his own way with the wretched animal. He really must see about getting rid of it. “I hate dogs!” he yelled at the top of his voice. Stanley responded by sitting up on his haunches, cocking his head on one side and fixing the detective with a look that plainly told Winter, For goodness sake, pull yourself together. It’s not my fault you’re clueless and stuck in a fog. As for muddle, you’ll find yourself a sight worse one of those if you insist on drinking yourself silly.
The detective glared at the dog. “What do you know about it, eh? Bugger all, that’s what.  Well, we’re both in the same boat there. I mean, what DO we know, eh? We know that Max Cutler has gone missing. Why? Well, we know he had a blazing row with Nina Fox and she kicked him out. Mind, you, “he wagged a finger at the now attentive animal, “we’re not sure what they rowed about. We know that Cutler went to Whitstable. If Nina and Pip are to be believed, he was, at some stage, in the cottage with ‘Gypsy’ Kate. If we take Pip’s word for it Max was alive when they left. We can probably safely assume he’d made himself scarce by the time our friend Williams appeared on the scene. The question is, was ‘Gypsy’ already dead by that time - which means Max killed her - or did Williams kill her?  It’s all very well for Lovell to say forensics point to Williams being the killer. but maybe if they knew about Max…Mind you, given his curriculum vitae, Williams seems the more likely candidate. Agreed?”
The little dog uttered an encouraging “Woof” and performed another belly flop while continuing to fix both brown eyes on his recently adopted master.
“Now, we know that Max went to the caravan,” Winter continued, glad of an audience. “Why? To collect something, steal something maybe…? Whatever, we need to find out if he had anything out of the ordinary on him when Cessy Pearce drove him back to the B&B. She didn’t mention anything. On the other hand, I never asked. Even so, she should have mentioned it. So why didn’t she? That has to be our next port of call, right? We need to pay the Misses Pearce another visit. I have a feeling in my water, those biddies know more than their letting on. Why do people keep telling us porky pies, eh?  Nina Fox, the Sparrow girl …and I dare say Lovell and Pritchard are holding plenty back too. It’s funny about the Sparrow girl.  Oh, she’s a nice enough kid and you have to feel sorry for her. But there’s too many coincidences there if you ask me…too many by half.”
A ringing sound began vibrating inside a trousers pocket. He let the mobile ring.  After a long pause, the landline phone started ringing. Stanley let rip with a barking that pounded at Winter’s eardrums. “Ignore it,” he told the dog, but the barking did not let up. “All right, all right,” he muttered and went to answer it, the little dog at his heels no longer making a sound. “Hello, Fred Winter speaking.”
“Hello, how nice to hear your voice. It’s Audrey here, Audrey Ellis.”
“Why, Audrey, how nice!” Winter exclaimed with warmth, at the same time reflecting guiltily that he hadn’t visited her in ages. She had helped him out in the past and he had a genuine fondness for the old girl. “How are you?”
“Oh, you know, ticking along. I just had to call. I’ve had a letter from some old friends of mine in Canterbury, Cessy and Margaret Pearce. They mentioned seeing you and I thought to myself, Audrey, Fred’s on a case. Then I read about that poor girl and the narrow escape she had. You will drop by and tell me all about it soon, won’t you?”
“I will indeed,” Winter promised. “Did your friends happen to say anything about why I’d called on them?”
“Not a lot. The letter was from Cessy, she popped it in with a birthday card.”
“Oh. A belated Happy Birthday,” he enthused, feeling guiltier than ever for neglecting this delightful old lady who had been of invaluable assistance on a previous case.
“Thank you. Mind you, I sometimes think birthdays are best forgotten at my age.” A giggle down the line could have belonged to a schoolgirl. “Cessy, Margaret and I all went to school together, you know. That was years ago, of course. I had a crush on their brother Cedric. Peter, my late husband, was a friend of theirs too and never stopped teasing me about it.”
“The Pearce ladies have a brother?” Winter was curious.
“He lives in London now, has done for years. He’s what I think they call a something-in-the-city person and quite successful I believe. That’s why I’m calling really. I was wondering whether your enquiries might possibly involve your calling on Cedric?  If so, well, perhaps you’d remember me to him? We’ve had no contact for donkey’s years of course, but he may still remember me.”
“How could he forget?” Winter enthused gallantly and was rewarded with another giggle. “Do you have an address?”
“Only a very old one, I’m afraid. But I can give it you if you like?”
“Why not ask the sisters if he’s still there?”
“Oh, I couldn’t do that. They might get the wrong idea and think I’ve been carrying a torch for him or something. I’m curious, yes, but it’s nothing like that. No one could ever replace my Peter. Oh, no, I wouldn’t want Cessy or Margaret to know I’ve even been thinking about Cedric. Now, I have the address here, a telephone number too. And I have you down as one of those organized people that will always have a pen by the phone, am I right?”
It so happened that for once a biro lay on the telephone table where Carol had left it on her last visit. He copied an address in Islington and a telephone number on to the back of an old envelope as she spoke. He would have asked why she didn’t telephone him herself if it hadn’t dawned on him that, to Audrey Ellis’s way of thinking, it would probably seem tantamount to flirting. “I’ll make a point of going to see him and, when I do, I’ll give him your love,” he assured her.
“Oh, no, that wouldn’t do at all. Just remember me to him, will you?”
“I certainly will…” he assured her and continued to chat for a while longer until Audrey Ellis bade him a fond goodbye.
Winter replaced the receiver and looked down at Stanley, tongue lolling and white head cocked on one side expectantly. “Well, what do you know? Our biddies Pearce have a brother. It can’t do any harm to look the old codger up, I suppose.”
“Woof!”
“Okay, okay, you win. Now I’m up, we might as well go for a walk. Go and get your lead then, I’m not your bloody slave.”
“Woof!” Stanley ran into the kitchen and returned with the makeshift lead in his mouth.
The fresh air hit Winter with the force of an arctic gale. After staggering along for a while, content to let Stanley ferret here, sniff there, diving off after a fly whenever the whim took him, the detective finally cleared his head and reassumed some semblance of control. “Heel boy!” he commanded, jerking on the dog’s lead to prove who was in charge. Stanley merely turned his head and tossed Winter a withering glance before continuing to follow his nose wherever it might take him.
Winter began considering whether or not to ask Carol to accompany him to see Cedric Pearce. What on earth for? He could almost hear her objection, and decided against. Besides, Carol had a nose for blind alleys, and he was in no mood for the inevitable ‘I told you so’ look’. “I can’t let Audrey Ellis down,” he told the dog, now cocking its leg up a lamppost, “She’s such a sweetie, and who knows? Cedric might be able to shed some light, although on what exactly is anyone’s guess.”
Task completed, Stanley proceeded on his way, trusting that Winter would have the good sense to keep up.
Winter slept well that night. The following morning, he devoured a bowl of cornflakes with relish before calling the number Audrey Ellis had given him. He let it ring for a while and was about to hang up when a voice called cheerily down the line.
“Hello?”
“Is that Cedric Pearce,” asked Winter cautiously. The voice sounded like that of a much younger man.
“Good lord, no,” the voice boomed good-naturedly, “Dear old Cedric hasn’t lived here for years.  He has a place in Edgware now.”
“You don’t have an address by any chance, do you? I’m an old friend and I’d love to get back in touch.”
“Sure, can do. Hold on a mo, won’t be a jiffy.” After an interminable pause, the voice was crackling away into Winter’s ear again. “Got a pen?”
“Yes.”
“Excellent.” The voice gave Winter an address in Burnt Oak and a telephone number. “He’s a bit deaf these days so give him plenty of time to get to the phone, okay?”
“I will.”
“Oh, and tell him Max sends lots of love.”
“I will…” Winter had barely got the words out when the name registered. “Max?” he yelled down the line. But all Winter heard was a sharp click as the line went dead. 
A subdued, not to say gobsmacked Winter continued to stare at the telephone. “Shit!” he swore aloud before hurling a string of obscenities, not intended for the fainthearted, at the drab, cream coloured plastic object with its fatuous dial. With mounting impatience, he stabbed at the keys with one finger.
“Hello?” a familiar voice finally answered.
“Audrey, it’s Fred Winter again. Sorry to bother you again and all that…”
“No bother at all. It’s always a pleasure to hear from you, Fred. What can I do for you?”
“I rang the number you gave me and a young man by the name of Max answered. The name doesn’t ring any bells, does it?”
“That would be Annie Cutler’s son, Max.”
Winter swore again, but silently this time. “So what’s the connection?”
“Connection…? Oh, yes, I see. Well, years ago, long before Margaret had her accident and was stuck in that wheelchair of hers, poor dear, she went to Art College in London. She’s very talented you know, Margaret. You must ask her to show you her paintings some time.”
“Yes, yes, but where does Max Cutler fit in the picture?”
“Picture, what picture? Oh, I see what you mean. Very droll,” she tittered, and Winter forced himself to stay calm. “Max Cutler, Audrey, what has Max Cutler to do with the Pearce sisters?”
“Well, Margaret met Annie Bowles, as she was then before she married that awful Cutler man, at the same college. They became such good friends that, when Max was born, Annie asked Margaret to be godmother.”
“Margaret Pearce is Max Cutler’s godmother?” Winter was dumbfounded. Clearly, the sisters had put on an act for his benefit but… why? Why bother to even mention that Max had been staying there at all for that matter? It made no sense, no sense at all.
“Oh, I remember now. Cedric moved. Margaret let him stay there, you see…” Winter dragged his mind back to paying some attention to Audrey Ellis twittering on in his ear. “I can see it clearly now I have my glasses on. I’ve crossed out Margaret and put Cedric…”
“I don’t understand,” Winter had to confess.
“Oh, well, you see, Margaret had a little windfall years ago. She used some of it to buy the flat while she was studying and later working in London.  After she returned to Canterbury and Cedric moved to London, I suppose it was only natural that Cedric should take on the flat. As far as I know, it still belongs to Margaret. She must have said Max could stay there. How stupid of me to have given you that address. It must be a good ten years since Cedric moved away. Margaret lets the flat out from time to time, I believe. Can you blame her?  It must fetch a tidy sum at London prices. Another dear friend of mine lets a one bedroom flat in Balham for £200 per week. Two hundred pounds, can you believe? Now, I’m sure I have another address for Cedric somewhere…”
“I have it Audrey. Max gave it to me.”
“Oh, that’s all right then. Now, you will remember me to Cedric, won’t you?”
“I will and thank you, Audrey, you’ve been a great help.”
“Have I? Oh, well, that’s nice. I’m so sorry I gave you that old address. I really mustn’t keep mislaying my glasses. It’s bad enough not being able to hear too well these days. Never mind, I dare say the good Lord sets all these things to try us…
“I dare say,” Winter hastily agreed, “Bye Audrey, take care…” replacing the receiver even before she had a chance to reply in kind.
“Woof!”
“You’ll have to make do with a run around the garden,” he told the little white dog, “and don’t be long about it. We’re off to Islington…” He opened the back door. The dog ran outside, tail wagging, while keeping half an eye on the back door to make sure it remained open. It was as if the animal sensed something was afoot and had no intention of being left out in the cold.
Winter telephoned Carol and relayed his news. “Islington’s practically your neck of the woods so I’ll pick you up in an hour or so. I’ll call you on the mobile when I get to Camden.”
“How about, would you like to come with me Carol?”
Winter sighed. “Would you like to come with me Carol?”
“Of course I’m coming with you. I’m as anxious as you to meet the elusive Mr Cutler. Bloody weird about the biddies Pearce, though, eh?”
“I’ll say!” Winter exclaimed a shade bitterly. Why couldn’t the Pearce sisters have trusted me? Unless…maybe they genuinely wanted to help Cutler but someone had put the wind up them so they dared not say too much? “Pritchard…!” Carol heard him yell seconds before he hung up.
Later, outside the house in Islington after ringing the doorbell non-stop for several minutes, Winter experienced an all too familiar sinking feeling. “I must have scared him off. He probably realized his mistake as soon as he let slip the name, Max. Damn and blast it!”
“He may have gone shopping?” Carol suggested doubtfully.
“You don’t believe that any more than I do,” Winter growled.
“Well, no,” Carol admitted, “But even if the bird has flown, that doesn’t mean we can’t have a good look around. You do have those famous skeleton keys of yours on you, I take it?”
“I do indeed.” Winter cheered up somewhat.
“So get the bloody door open and let’s see if we can’t rustle up a few clues as to where our bird is likely to have flown next.  It mightn’t be a bad idea to have another word with the biddies Pearce either,” she added dryly. “I still can’t believe how two old ladies could tell such barefaced fibs.”
Winter began trying one key after another. “I have a gut feeling that Cessy may have been telling the truth,” he muttered, “Margaret, on the other hand…well, she’s something else altogether.  I sensed something at the time, but Cessy sort of took over and I didn’t pay much attention to Margaret, apart from…”
“Her wheelchair,” said Carol quietly, “Awful isn’t it, the way we tend to see the wheelchair and not the person in it?  On this occasion, though, it looks as though that’s exactly what she was relying on. Good for her, I say. Disabled people deserve their share of turning tables on the likes of you and me. Let that be a warning to you, Freddy…woods and trees and all that.”
“Whose side are you on?” he demanded gruffly, at the same time flashing a broad grin that told her he was in full agreement. “Eureka!”
The front door swung open.
It didn’t take them long, however, to confirm their suspicions. Everything about every room pointed to the same conclusion. Max Cutler had left in a hurry and wasn’t planning an imminent return.

 To be continued on Friday