Monday 15 August 2011

Dog Roses - Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN


A few nights after that delightful evening in the company of Shaun and Lou, I was caught up in a brawl at the Black Swan. Shaun was serving behind the bar. Baz Pearce and Liz Daniels who, in case we were in any doubt, had announced they were a regular item before they even sat down, had joined Lou and me. Baz was keen to tell me how, since the demise of the café, most of Billy’s erstwhile band of merry bikers now frequented a café-bar on the other side of town called The Crossbow. “It’s a dump,’ he told us. ‘The tea and coffee are so disgusting that everyone drinks mineral water laced with vodka. Not a good idea if you’re driving. The only attraction is the owner’s daughter.  She has melons any model would die for.’
     Apparently, Nick Crolley had not only wasted no time staking his claim on the said melons, in addition to taking up with Maggie Dillon, but also continued to throw his weight about, appointing himself Leader of the Pack in the process despite a lack of consensus. Much heated debate had followed, resulting in some of the old crowd, Baz and Liz included, roaring away into various sunsets. This was news even to Shaun, who came and sat with us now and then. He saw few of the old crowd now. “Getting married changes your whole life,” he said with a fond glance at Lou, “Besides,” added with a sigh that cut me to the quick, “all that macho bonding stuff died with Billy. Nick Crolley, now, he hasn’t a clue. He just wants to be top dog. As if…!” He gave a low, hoarse laugh. The rest of us nodded soberly. 
     “He’s a creep that Nick, a fucking creep!” Liz exclaimed suddenly, making everyone else jump. It was common knowledge that she was pregnant by Nick months before he’d homed in on Maggie Dillon with what many of us saw as indecent haste, around the time of Billy’s funeral. Liz’s family had demanded she have an abortion. She had not only refused, but also began seeing Baz. A miscarriage had subsequently lost them priority consideration for a council flat.  In the meantime, Liz had dyed her hair black and now wore it very short. At the same time, a combination of heavy black eye shadow and charcoal lipstick gave her pale face the appearance of a ghastly mask.
     After Shaun returned to the bar, the conversation turned to the unlikely pairing of Nick Crolley and Maggie Dillon. Lou was at a loss to explain or even make excuses for her friend’s behaviour. She defended Maggie all the same, blaming subsequent events on Billy’s death. Noticeably, no one wanted to dwell on that subject. Nor were we inclined to anticipate the prospect of Bryan Chester’s trial, now only weeks ahead. Instead, we continued to gossip about Maggie and Nick.
     We were taken aback, to say the least, when Maggie herself appeared out of nowhere, pulled up a chair and slammed down a large brandy and coke. Shaun and I exchanged meaningful glances. Maggie looked a mess; this, quite apart from swollen lips and a badly bruised eye. “Hi everyone,” she said brightly, reaching anxiously for the glass as if in need of moral support. No one spoke.
     It was Liz who broke the uncomfortable silence. “Has Nick been bashing you about again? He has, hasn’t he, the swine?” Liz was never one to be circumspect.
     “You don’t have to answer that Maggie,” said Lou then to the other girl, “Why don’t you just mind your own business?”
     “I warned you,” Liz persisted, “I told you what he’s like. Didn’t I tell her Baz?” seizing her companion’s arm to his obvious discomfort.
      “Shut up!” Lou snapped. It was one of the few occasions I ever saw her rattled.
     “Say what you like, and see if I care,” muttered Maggie and took a sip from her glass. “Why should I give a damn? She’s right. He’s a bastard. She should know. Nearly had another one on your hands too, didn’t you Liz? Trust good old Mother Nature to have everyone’s best interests at heart.  That miscarriage must have seemed like manna from heaven, eh, Liz?”
Liz leapt to her feet and would have launched herself at Maggie had Baz not restrained her. In the event, she pulled away from him and ran off. Baz chased after her but not before flinging Maggie a look of pure malice.
     “Was that really necessary?” Lou was furious.
     “Don’t go all holier than thou on me, Lou. I’m not in the mood.” Maggie raised the glass to her lips and took another sip. “So, how are things with you Rob? Moving up in the world, I hear.” I winced at the undisguised sarcasm in her voice.
     “Things are okay thanks,” I responded in kind, “It’s true about you being a lush these days then?” I chanced a grin.
     “So what’s new?” she spluttered and tried to smile but the effort proved too much. She reached for her the glass, dropped it and vomited all over the table.
     “Shit!” was all Maggie had time to say before she passed out and crumpled in a heap on the floor, somehow managing to avoid the patch swimming in vomit and broken glass.
     “Get her out of here while I sort things out with Shaun,” said Lou with dark looks that suggested she held me personally responsible for Maggie’s condition.
     “What’s going on?” Baz returned without Liz.
     “What does it look like?” retorted Lou, “Give Rob a hand. I’ll be with you as soon as I’ve spoken to Shaun.”
     “Get off me!” Maggie cried feebly as, between us, Baz and I half carried, half dragged her outside. The fresh air did wonders for her recovery. “If you’re expecting an apology you’ll have a long wait,” she muttered, breaking away from us and leaning against a wall for support.
     “It’s Liz you should apologize to,” said Lou as she emerged from the pub to join us. “It was a horrible thing to say. I happen to know she was devastated about losing that baby, even if it was Nick’s.”
     “Devastated,” echoed Baz although his tone carried notably less conviction than Lou’s.
     “She asked for it,” mumbled an unrepentant Maggie, “What about Nick? It was his kid too. But did she give a toss? No. She was glad enough to sleep with him and have his kid. Oh, yes, but as soon as things go pear shaped, she ups and runs like a rat from a sinking ship.”
     “I heard it was the other way around,” I couldn’t resist saying.
     “Well, you heard wrong,” Maggie flared briefly before surrendering to another fit of retching.
     “If you ask me, anyone who sees anything that isn’t downright evil in the likes of Nick Crolley needs their head examining,” declared Lou while wasting no time going to Maggie’s aid, “That goes for you and Liz both” she told Maggie as she wiped her friend’s mouth with a tissue.
     “Liz is well over him,” Baz growled a trifle nervously.
     “I wouldn’t be too sure about that if I were you,” Maggie snarled, the light of battle returning to her eyes.
Shaun arrived with Liz in tow. Baz went and placed an arm around her although protectively or possessively I couldn’t quite decide. She burst into tears.
     “Rob and I will take Maggie back to our place,” Lou announced in such a way that defied argument although I could see it was on the tip of Shaun’s tongue to protest. Instead, he merely nodded. Before we could say or do anything else, a mocking yell came from nearby.
     “What’s going on here then, a teddy bears’ picnic? Can anyone join in? ” Nick Crolley’s voice crackled across the car park like a bad telephone line. Four pairs of eyes swung in his direction, expressing surprise, contempt, apprehension, you name it…anything but pleasure. He was drunk, far more so than Maggie. His eyes were bloodshot and emanated blanket hostility. A grubby red bandana around his head gave the appearance of a skull split wide open. His denim shirt hung open, several studs dangling by a thread. Close behind him a few confederates that I recognized, also drunk, swayed and adopted various sneering expressions but said nothing, apart from making grunting sounds. They hung back, however, as Nick approached us.
     “Well, well, well,” he drawled in a voice growing louder by the second and looking directly at Maggie, “If it ain’t my mate Maggie. Slagging me off again, are you, telling everybody I’m a nasty piece of work?  Well, it takes one to know one, sweetheart.”
     “As a matter of fact, Nick, she was sticking up for you,” I felt compelled to say.
     “As a matter of fact, Rob, you had better mind your own fucking business if you want to stay in one piece!” Crolley snorted and lurched closer. I noticed scratches on his face. The stench of alcohol on his breath was all but overpowering.
     By now, too, a small crowd had gathered. I became rapidly aware of men and women with shining faces and bright eyes eager to see blood spilt, so long as none of it was theirs.
     “So here you are, you stupid bitch!” Crolley yelled at Maggie who, for her part, remained stock still although her hands and lower lip were visibly trembling. She’s frightened of him.  I was slightly taken aback by a sense of disappointment. Maggie stayed silent but flung Crolley a look of such venom that he stumbled backwards a few steps. The crowd, having surged forward, instantly fell back again. The tension was electric. Those watching included drinkers who had drifted from the bar at the first sounds of trouble ahead.  One of these dropped a glass. The sound of its breaking into smithereens on the concrete not only shattered the tension but appeared to give Crolley a new lease of life. He strode up to Maggie, completely ignoring the rest of us. “You’re coming with me!” he told her, but the slurring voice undermined any trace of authority in it.
     “Fuck off,” she hissed defiantly, but I saw her wince in pain as Crolley’s grip on her wrist tightened.
     “You heard her, fuck off,” said Lou quietly, at the same time going up to Maggie and taking one hand in hers.  I almost laughed aloud. It was unheard of for Lou to resort to bad language. “Piss off and leave her alone,” Lou continued in much the same conversational tone. She might have been making small talk instead of warning off a drunken bully. Nick looked flummoxed and began to dribble. I feared for Lou’s safety and tried to catch Shaun’s eye. But he was watching Crolley like a hawk. I felt I should do something…but what? My legs were like jelly. It struck me than that I wasn’t afraid for Lou but for myself.
     In my mind’s eye, I saw the thugs who had attacked me. Adam the chameleon’s laughter began ringing in my ears.
     I clenched my fists. Shaun noticed and misinterpreted the gesture. “Leave this to me, Rob,” he muttered and without another word lunged at Crolley. But Crolley saw him out of the corner of one eye and neatly sidestepped. Shaun went sprawling. Everyone expected Crolley to follow up his advantage and attack Shaun. Instead, he yanked on Maggie’s arm while Lou held on tightly to the other. Briefly, Maggie was caught in a tug-of-war. It was almost comical. Shaun scrambled to his feet and grabbed Crolley in a stranglehold. Nick responded by raising his right foot and kicking Shaun in the groin. Shaun stumbled backwards but kept a hold of sorts on his adversary.  They were rolling on the ground now, fists flying. The crowd surged eagerly forward to get a better view. Crolley landed a punch on Shaun’s jaw that left him momentarily dazed.
     Crolley wasted no time getting to his feet and making another grab for Maggie. While he appeared less drunk, neither had he sobered up completely. “Are you coming home with me or do I have to…”
     “What?” Maggie flared, “You’re in no fit state to get yourself home, let alone me - even if I wanted to go anywhere with you, which I damn well don’t. Home...? You call that pigsty a home? You’ve got to be joking.” She tugged her hand free of Lou’s and went right up to him. “You’re a joke, too, Nick, me too. We’re a joke, the pair of us. You and me, we’re just one big joke and I am sick, sick, SICK OF IT,” her voice rose hysterically.
     “That makes two of us!” Crolley yelled back at her, “But I’m the best thing that’s ever happened to you Maggie Dillon and well you know it. Shall we tell everyone why?  Because you’re a sex mad cow and you can’t get enough of it, that’s why!”
      Now it was Maggie’s turn to lunge at Crolley. She would have clawed the skin from his face if he hadn’t caught hold of her wrists. Undeterred, she lashed out with her right foot and sent him flying. Maggie dived in for the kill. My feet suddenly took on new life. I grabbed her, kicking and screaming, by the waist.  “Let me go!” she screamed, “Let me at the bastard!” Meanwhile, Shaun was on his feet again. He grabbed Crolley from behind, twisting his arm behind his back until Nick cried out in agony. Shaun relaxed his hold only slightly, but it was enough to allow Nick to lash out again with a foot that landed a blow on Shaun’s shin.  Shaun lost his grip, fell against a wall and began hopping on one leg in obvious pain.
     Crolley looked around for Maggie, but she and Lou had fled into the crowd. He seemed to sense this and charged like a raging bull into the ring of open-mouthed spectators that had closed behind them.
     A woman screamed.
     I caught up with Nick seconds before he caught up with Maggie. There was no sign of Lou. I threw myself in front of Maggie before I had time to ask myself why I should want to protect someone for whom I had no time whatsoever. Crolley’s greasy head lunged at me. I braced myself for impact. Suddenly, rough hands pushed me aside. I stumbled, but saw the head cannon into something like a bullfighter’s cloak. I recognized Ed Mack wearing a red tee shirt and swore aloud.
      Ed’s left fist dealt Nick a blow in the face on the forehead. At the same time, he slammed his right fist into Nick’s stomach. Nick reeled. Ed caught hold of his Nick’s shirt and landed him one on the jaw. Nick dropped like a stone. The crowd roared its approval and there was sporadic clapping. Nick lay motionless on the round, bleeding profusely.
     This time it was Maggie who screamed. She rushed forward and knelt beside Nick, cradling his head in her lap and seemingly oblivious of the blood staining her hands and jeans. She glared at Ed and yelled, “You bastard, you’re no better than he is!”
     Shaun reappeared, a tearful Lou supporting him. “An ambulance is on its way. So are the police,” he added.
     “The police...? Shit!” this from Ed. “Why call the Old Bill, for crying out loud?  As if I haven’t got enough to worry about…”
     As if by magic, the crowd dispersed.
     I glanced despairingly at Maggie, now helping a dazed Nick Crolley to his feet. By the time I turned my back on them to ask Ed Mack what the hell he thought he was playing at, he too had left the scene. You owe him one Rob. My alter ego wasted no time reminding me. I turned a deaf ear.
     Maggie’s concern for Crolley was beyond belief. She gently eased the bloodied bandana from his head and used it to stem the flow of blood from his nose. “I don’t believe this,” I muttered to no one in particular.
     “Believe it,” Lou answered, “If ever love and hate were two sides of the same coin, Maggie’s the proof of it. Don’t be too hard on her, Rob. There’s a lot you don’t know.”   However, before I could take her up on this cryptic remark, Shaun was already leading her back into the pub.
     I left before the police arrived and learned later from Shaun that Crolley did not wait for the ambulance.      
     “What did you tell them?” I was anxious to know.
     Shaun grinned. “Not a lot,” he admitted. I breathed a sigh of relief that came as some surprise. I hadn’t realized just how desperately I didn’t want to see Ed in trouble with the law again. Like it or not, he had saved me from a beating. Besides, he was Billy’s brother. That had to count for something, too, didn’t it?
The next day, Clive Rider made one of his regular visits to the house, charmed my mother into providing a generous slice of homemade chocolate cake with a cup of fresh coffee then drove me to the site.
     The Connie was looking good. A team of interior decorators were making excellent progress. Clive told me he’d given them what amounted to carte blanche when it came to budget considerations so long as it meant the club would open in time for Halloween. “If you want a job done properly, Rob, never quibble about overtime. Keep the buggers sweet and they’ll see you right. There’s time enough to count the pennies once you’ve beaten the clock. If we’re not open for Halloween, we’ll lose a small fortune.” As always, his matter-of-factness left me gobsmacked.
     We had lunch at a popular Chinese restaurant about half an hour’s miles drive away during which I told Clive I wanted Shaun on my staff.
      “So tell him to apply.”
     “What’s the point? I need Shaun. I thought he and Lou could have the caretaker’s flat.”
     “Lou?”
     “His wife,” I said, nonchalantly I hoped. I sensed Rider would not appreciate my sounding too enthusiastic.
     “I see. Yes, well, cosy,” he responded with the kind of sarcasm I’d come to expect from the man.
     “He’s a damn good barman and a handy guy to have around. Not only a jack-of-all-trades but also master of most, that’s Shaun. I’d trust him with my life. Lou could help with the cleaning.”
     “Okay,” he agreed.
     “What, just like that?” I could disguise neither my surprise nor relief.
     Clive shrugged. “Forget about love, Rob. There’s only one thing money can’t buy and that’s trust, a turn up for the book whatever line you’re in. If it’s a rare enough find in everyday life, in business it’s nothing short of a bloody miracle. Oh, you can scoff. But business can be a real burden. A burden shared is a burden halved. A burden halved saves time and money. If you trust this Shaun with your life, that’s got to be good for my business. Just one thing...”
     “What’s that?”
     “Is he likely to jump when you say jump or tell you that’s no way to treat a mate?”
     I fancied I could hear Bo Devine whispering in my ear. Good staff will always jump when you say jump, dear heart. The best prefer to be asked nicely. I repeated the adage to Clive Rider. He roared with laugher. “If that isn’t Bo Devine talking, I’ll eat my hat! The old rascal’s taught you well. Okay, young Rob, you can tell your friends the flat’s theirs. But on your head be it if they give me any cause got regret. I did think you might want the flat for yourself.”
     “And be on call 24/7? No thanks. I’ll leave that to Shaun and Lou. Me, I’ll stay at home a while longer. Besides, I dare say there will be a sofa bed in my office.”
     “I dare say,” Rider chuckled.
     “There’s something else…”
     “Oh? And why am I not surprised?” But if the tone was jocular enough, a shrewd expression in the beady eyes gave me good cause to swallow nervously. “Not another friend on the make I hope?”
     “Not exactly,” I hedged, “but he’ll make a damn good bouncer. This is a rough area and we’ve never had anything like The Connie around here. Ed’s just what we need.”
     “Ed?”
     “Ed Mack.”
     “That would be…”
     “Billy Mack’s brother, yes.”
     “So what’s the hang-up?” Clive frowned and gave me a long, old-fashioned look. I squirmed in my seat. “You were very positive about Shaun. I like that. You have to be positive in business or you might as well go into a monastery. Now you’re acting as if this Ed has shoved ants down your pants.”
     “He’s been in prison.”
     “Tell me something new. Everyone knows about that robbery he was involved in. Give me one good reason why I should give someone like that a second chance.”
     “Doesn’t everyone deserve one?” I countered with a show of confidence that amounted to a blatant lie.
     “You are such a greenhorn Rob. Oh, you’re good, I grant you that. But you’ve got a lot to learn.”
     “Is that a no?”
     “It would be if we were we talking about anyone else. As it is, word will get round and he’ll get the punters in. The gutter press will love it. I can see the headlines now, ‘Ex-con working at the scene of kid brother’s murder.’  So, yes, by all means offer the job to Ed Mack. Only, keep in mind that it’s not only your back you’ll be watching but mine too.”
     “You’ll see them then, Shaun and Ed.”
     Clive shook his head. “I trust your judgement. You know these people. You’re willing to put your head on the block for them, and that’s good enough for me. I could interview them for hours, and still not see what you see in them.”
     “You’d trust a greenhorn?”
     “Bananas did, and he’s one of the few people for whom I’ve always had the greatest respect.”
     “Is that why you bought him out?” I couldn’t disguise my resentment and sensed Rider was being facetious. “That café was his whole life.”
     “If you believe that, you’ll believe anything. The cafe was Ma B’s baby. Now, she was his life. He only stuck it out for her sake. Now she’s gone, he’s free to do what he’s always wanted to do which is travel and see the world. I didn’t force Bananas to sell, Rob. Do you honestly think anyone could make Bananas do something he didn’t want to do?” I shook my head. “Too right, they couldn’t. He’s one in a million that old man. I’d trust him with my life the same as you would your friend Shaun. He has a mind as sharp as a needle too. If he says someone is kosher, I believe him.”
     “And he thinks I’m kosher?” I grinned.
     “He thinks you’re bloody marvellous. I can’t think why.  Not quite yet, anyhow. I can’t wait to find out though.” We both laughed. If there was an edge to the sound, we chose to ignore it.
I saw no reason to tell Clive that I suspected Ed Mack would turn me down flat. Instead, I continued to do battle with a largely unyielding crab while we went over interview times and dates for a shortlist of job applicants I had drawn up.
     Later, as I made my way to what I still thought of as Billy’s house, I vowed to master the art of eating crab if it killed me.
     As I waited for someone to come to the front door, I found myself recalling the day Billy and I spent in Brighton. Had it really only been a few months ago?  It felt like years. I even had difficulty recalling Billy’s face. But I was getting used to that now and felt marginally less guilty. Even so, what did it say about my love for Billy? Had it been so shallow that it could fade so quickly?  Then my mind’s eye would clear, Billy’s handsome profile fully restored. If I was aware of a gradual letting go, it was a nebulous process, not unlike admiring a butterfly in a cup of hands before setting it free. Oh, but I’d have given anything for him to fling open the door now, a huge grin on his face. I’d be in heaven, letting his easy banter wrap me in all the warmth and tenderness of a kiss.
     Suddenly, I was aware of another sensation. Only this time it was a touch of silk embracing my whole body as Matthew Jordan’s face yet again, albeit fleetingly, superimposed itself on Billy’s.
     “Oh, it’s you.” It was Billy’s mother who opened the door. I hadn’t seen her since the inquest. She looked smaller, frailer, than I remembered. Her face as expressionless as her voice, I couldn’t tell if she was pleased to see me or not.