Thursday 21 July 2011

Dog Roses - Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE



My eighteenth birthday came and went. I upset my mother by refusing point blank to mark the occasion in any way. My brother Paul and I had a blazing row. He kept on about how Dad would have wanted me to have ‘a bit of a do’. But I stood my ground and told him to mind his own damn business. It was my birthday and I would do as I damn well pleased. Not that I didn’t feel as guilty as hell, I did. They meant well. But how could I tell them I wanted to spend my birthday with Billy? They wouldn’t have understood. Or perhaps I was afraid they might?
Mum left a present on my bed and a card. Paul did not bother with either. For weeks afterwards, the three of us barely spoke. I seriously considered moving out, but not for long.  A cursory glance through the local newspapers told me I couldn’t even rent a room on my wages. Besides, I was the main breadwinner (for now, anyway). Pipe dreams, too, were a luxury I could not afford.
Billy and I went up to the West End. He treated me to meal at The Spaghetti House in St Martin’s Lane. Later, we danced at a gay club called the Half Moon. It was the first time we had gone public, and I needed a good few pints to persuade me. There was precious little likelihood of bumping into anyone we knew; neither of us was quite ready for that yet.
While we were dancing, Billy gave me my present; a platinum eternity ring on a chain that must have cost the earth. It meant the world to me, and still does. He had attempted several times to take me in his arms, but I’d always resisted the temptation, content to let myself go with the music and feast my gaze on Billy’s theatrical gyrations. After he hung the ring around my neck, though, I took the initiative. I put my arms around his waist, and pulled him close without either of us losing our rhythm. Seconds later, he bent and kissed my neck. I closed my eyes. Billy’s lips found mine and his tongue aroused a heat in me as it always did. We clung to each other, still keeping time with the frantic beat. Our bodies joined as one, we were like any two people in love. How could this be wrong, the music demanded? I shook my head. I didn’t know or care.
I had never been so happy. Our kiss lasted ages, ending only when the need to draw breath overtook us. We continued to dance cheek to cheek. I tongued the lobe of his ear as a special thank you because I knew he loved it.
We never discussed our feelings for each other, Billy and I. While acknowledging the necessity for local subterfuge, we simply set out to make the most of what was, after all, an unlikely intimacy. Even now, I find myself staring at the platinum eternity ring, and wonder what on earth Billy Mack ever saw in me. (The chain broke, by the way. I wear it on the third finger of my right hand now).
If people had known about us, we would probably have struck them as the oddest couple. We had little in common apart from Elvis Presley and a frantic, physical need to be together.
It was more than sex. We were soulmates.  Subsequently, we learned to anticipate and respect each other’s moods, and feel completely relaxed in each other’s company without becoming bogged down with words or besotted with sex. This, even though we didn’t see anywhere near as much of each other as we’d have liked, Billy being apprenticed to a local print firm and my having to work most evening as well as day shifts at the café.
We had some wonderful times that spring, Billy Mack and me.
I managed to cajole Doreen into swapping some of her evening shifts for my afternoons. At first, I felt indebted to her until Sarah confided that, on these same evenings, a man came into the café who was not Doreen’s husband, Harry. They would chat at the counter for hours. At closing time, Doreen would invariably drive off with him in a hatchback. I was surprised, to say the least. Doreen and Harry had always struck me as the epitome of married bliss. But it was none of my business, I kept telling myself, especially after Sarah conceded, when pressed, that Doreen was in no way falling down on the job. In those days, I had precious little conception of staff management. As long as everyone pulled their weight, that was more than enough for me. Besides, I was far too preoccupied with my feelings for Billy to care much about anyone else’s. If Doreen was having an affair, who was I to pass judgement?
One Saturday afternoon, Bananas turned up out of the blue and gave me the rest of the day off. I deserved it, he said. He looked ill, his face as battered as the old trilby hat he always wore. I sensed he would have liked to chat. But I was young, in love and anxious to be off before the gaffer changed his mind. I asked hastily after Ma B as I shed my apron. His only response was to scratch an ear and concentrate his full attention on a tiny pool of spilt tea on the counter. He grabbed a cloth and began scrubbing furiously away at the Formica. I gladly left him to it. It was a glorious day and I wanted to spend it with Billy.
I called for Billy at his home. I was not an infrequent visitor by this time and got on well with Billy’s mother. I felt guilty about deceiving Nora Mack. More often than not, we would chat a while before I went up to Billy’s room, and again afterwards. As it turned out, she knew my mother slightly. It was she who told me that Billy’s cousin Hayley was my brother’s girlfriend. I hadn’t met the girl, nor had Paul ever mentioned her. Not that we talked much, Paul and I, in those days. Certainly, we didn’t exchange confidences.
On this occasion, someone I did not recognize opened the front door. He was a slump-shouldered, scruffy individual with close-cropped black hair and smouldering grey eyes who looked me over and grunted. He continued to puff on a cigarette, and raised a bushy eyebrow enquiringly without saying a word.
“Is Billy in?” I asked more defensively than I intended.
He motioned me inside, and Billy himself appeared on the stairs. He was jubilant when I told him I had the rest of the day off. “I thought we might jump on a train or something,” I suggested.
“We’ll go to Brighton!” Billy made a fist and punched the air with undisguised glee. His enthusiasm prompted a repeat exercise of the eyebrow from our dour observer. “We might as well,” Billy reiterated but shuffled his feet and looked acutely uncomfortable as if caught off-guard. “Rob, this is my brother Ed. Ed, this is Rob Young. He’s a mate of mine.”
“Pleased to meet you, Ed.” I offered to shake hands. Ed Mack ignored the gesture and continued his bleak appraisal of my appearance from head to toe. Was it obvious, I wondered? Were we so transparent, Billy and I? My stomach gave a sickening lurch. Ed Mack’s expression stopped just short of open hostility.
“Ed is…” Billy began.
“On parole,” growled his brother. A light in the grey eyes flared as if daring me to comment.  My hackles rose to the challenge, but a warning glance from Billy kept me silent.
“I’ll be right with you Rob. I’ll just get my jacket.” Billy disappeared. Ed and I regarded each other warily. It was hard to believe that this morose, unshaven ape was Billy’s brother.
“Have you managed to find a job yet?” I asked when I could bear the heavy silence no longer.
“What do you think?” he snapped.
“Just asking…”I floundered, desperate to ease the tension between us, wishing he would take himself off to watch TV or something. Eventually I gave what I hoped would pass for a sympathetic shrug. “I hope things work out okay for you.”
There was something indefinable about Ed Mack. I didn’t care for his surly manner, but neither did I find myself actively disliking the man. He began puffing hard to rekindle the cigarette.
“Maybe they will, maybe they won’t,” he volunteered at last, “What’s it to you?” He glowered at me, and then blew a derisory cloud of smoke in my face. More hackles snaked up my spine just as Billy came dashing down the stairs, arms wrestling with the sleeves of a faded denim jacket. I noted, inconsequentially, that he rarely wore his leather biker jacket when we were out together. On impulse, I held out my hand to Ed Mack a second time. We parried baleful expressions. Suddenly, he smiled and took my hand. The grip was firm. His smile, not unlike his mother’s, transformed the craggy features that shed years on the spot and even took on a certain charm.
Ed withdrew his hand, turned abruptly and headed towards the kitchen without another word.
“A bundle of laughs, your brother,” I remarked dryly as Billy slammed the front door behind us.
“He’s not so bad,” was the short response.
“So how come he went down for a robbery?” I was curious.
“It’s usual if you get caught,” said Billy gruffly. His mouth tightened and he ran a hand through his hair. I changed the subject. It didn’t take a genius to understand that Billy did not want to be reminded of the Crolleys. Even as we talked, Nick Crolley was not only usurping Billy’s place as leader of the biker pack, but had also attached himself to Maggie Dillon as her self-styled consort. Billy adamantly refused to discuss the situation with me. Maggie Dillon remained, by tacit agreement, a strictly taboo subject.
All that day, I had the feeling of shutting and bolting a door on the past; the two of us were in a world of our own. Even so, at heart we both always knew the bolts hadn’t quite shot home.
Nothing, though, could spoil that day in Brighton. We swam and splashed in the sea wearing only our boxer shorts, and then let the sun dry us out on the shingle while we exchanged banter and giggled a lot. We buried our noses in candyfloss, played fruit machines on the pier, shared a Ploughman’s lunch and drank real ale in a shadowy bar whose brass horseshoes on its walls and low oak beams would catch the sun and make us blink.
To help us sober up, we took a bus to the Devil’s Dyke, and strolled for a good half hour before lying down in the long grass to watch hang-gliders and multi-coloured kites vying for supremacy in a dreamy cumulous sky. His hand reached for mine. We were happy, contented. Adrenalin flowed through our fingers. We made love, without even wanting sex.
Twilight found us scoffing fish and chips as we wandered along the beach at the water’s edge. The sun was a ball of fire, slowly but surely burning itself out as darkness crept up on us. In no time at all, a full moon was queening it over starry clusters, having torn the last thin veil of sunset to shreds and disposed of those on the horizon.
We kept an easy, companionable silence as we walked. I was conscious of waves rising and falling; now rushing to lick my bare toes, now beating a hasty retreat as if anxious not to disturb our reverie. There was an intrusive yet splendid inevitability about it all, Mother Nature at her kindest.
Only once, as I regarded the burnt out shell of the West pier, did a profound sadness come over me, but it quickly ebbed, washed away by the sheer delight of my being there, incredible and surreal an experience though it was; the sea, moonlight, Billy Mack, and me pre-empting eternity.
Two gulls screeched overhead. We watched them glide, descend and ascend again in a wide, graceful arc, like wistful angels, curious about us but reconciled to no longer having a part to play in the comings and shortcomings of humankind. Anonymous shadows of all shapes and sizes kept us company, and I had a sense of participating in a grand, celebratory event.
“A penny for them…?”
I confided my whimsical thoughts to Billy, expecting him to roar with laughter. Instead, he drew me close, held me tight and kissed me full on the mouth with a passion so intense it scared me. Breathless, I broke away.  “What was that for?” keeping my tone light with some difficulty.
Billy shrugged. “Life, death, love, you name it.” Only then did he burst into peals of laughter. But I wasn’t fooled. There was more, much more to Billy Mack than met the eye.
In seconds, this tangible but not uneasy tension had lifted. In its place, a comfortable silence spread over us like a snug duvet at bedtime. Simultaneously stifling a yawn, we made our way to the railway station.
On the return journey, Billy dozed. He rested his blond head on my shoulder, snuggling closer whenever the train gave an unexpected jolt. The silky caress of his hair against my cheek was very reassuring. I amused myself by imagining the likely reactions of our fellow passengers had I been unable to resist a mounting desire to slip a hand inside my lover’s shirt, tease a nipple, plant a long, passionate kiss on his slightly parted lips. Confidently, I predicted that the old dear sitting opposite, busy at her knitting, would drop a stitch or two while an elderly ex-army type next to her might well attempt to shield her eyes with his flat cap before blustering his way into a state of apoplexy.  A young couple in the corner, I decided, would probably not even notice; the girl’s tongue was clearly as intrigued by the youth’s own as his left hand with her breasts.
We reached my house first. It was late, and we ducked behind some garages to kiss goodnight. I showed Billy the stars and he recited their names after me; The Plough, Great Bear, Little Bear and Cassiopeia.
Once we heard a noise, and it crossed both our minds it might be an inquisitive copper. Billy burst into a fit of giggles. I held a hand over his mouth, panic-stricken. He promptly found a ticklish spot under my armpit. Seconds later, we collapsed upon each other in a heap of uncontrollable but silent mirth, tears stinging our eyes.  Hugging, kissing, holding each other tight, we soon forgot any fear of being arrested for indecent behaviour, or whatever.
By the time we had adjusted out clothes and put on a public face again, it was well into the early hours of Sunday morning. We touched only briefly before going our separate ways. As I turned the key in my front door, I glanced up again at the night sky. It struck me that the same stars winking at me would be winking at Billy, at other lovers too, gay and straight alike.
The stars, I reflected wistfully, did not discriminate.
I looked away and put one foot inside the door. Yet, I could not resist one final glance at that starry heaven, found myself responding to its sheer magnificence in a way I never had before. It was as if, in the course of one incredible day, Billy and I had won a place there. Whimsically, I chose a star among those that formed the Milky Way. Tomorrow, I would show Billy. This was our star, I told myself, for as long as we both shall live - and beyond. Instantly stifling a peal of self-ridicule, I closed the door quietly behind me.
The next morning, it was business as usual over the breakfast table with Mum and Paul occasionally exchanging a few sentences, and leaving me feeling as if I was invisible.
I doubt whether anyone outside the family appreciated that my brother’s natural flair for sports did not apply to the academic world. He was bright enough, but homework was a slog. Since our mother seemed to think he could do no wrong, the role of taskmaster invariably fell to me. There were endless rows that invariably followed the same predictable pattern. Paul’s fresh complexion would turn puce, and then Mum would intercede, sobbing, on his behalf. She would rail at me for bullying him, and proceed to rant on about how different things would be if our father were still alive. In other words, I was making a poor show of filling my father’s boots, as if I needed reminding! It was hardly surprising, therefore, that the tension at mealtimes was unbearable.
“Sarah phoned,” Mum informed me matter-of-factly, no inflexion in her voice whatsoever, “She’s not feeling well and won’t be able to do the evening shift. She said she thought Doreen would be able to cope on her own, but that’s up to you of course.”
“Did she say what was wrong?”
My mother shrugged. “Women’s problems….”
“That time of the month, eh?” I responded lightly. My mother, however, chose to make heavy weather of the remark, glowered at me as if I had uttered a profanity and left the room. “So what did I say?” But it was a rhetorical question and I did not expect my brother to answer. Nor did he surprise me by doing so, but continued to tuck into his cornflakes.
I sighed. It had been such a wonderful weekend. The prospect of working on a Sunday did not appeal in the least, especially as I would be working the afternoon shift too. Although I often worked evenings on my own, the same did not apply to the women. Bananas absolutely forbade it. Nor was it an issue with which I felt inclined to argue. Only the week before, a young woman working in the local fish and chip shop had been badly slashed with a knife at around 11.00pm by a drunken lout attempting to avoid payment. Sadly, this kind of incident was not unusual once the local bars began to empty.
Paul left the table without a word and my mother did not reappear. For my own part, I tucked in hungrily, much preferring to be left alone. Imagine my surprise and discomfort then to find Paul sitting on my bed when I returned to my room. He was pretending to study my posters while chewing on his nails, a habit that never failed to get under my skin, not least because it inevitably meant there was trouble brewing.
“What are you doing in my room?”
“I live here too, remember?”
“That doesn’t give you the right to come into my room without asking, and poke among my things.”
“I’ll go then, shall I?”
“Suit yourself.”
I suspect neither of us really expected him to leave, and nor did he. I waited. Eventually he turned our father’s hazel eyes on me, like twin pistols, firing accusation and dismay. “Mum’s got a boyfriend,” he flung at me. Tremors ran visibly through his rangy, muscular frame. Suddenly, he looked very vulnerable. I could see he was close to tears and was forcibly reminded that this pain-in-the arse brother of mine was, after all, still a freckle faced school kid.
“Oh?” I responded thoughtfully. I was playing for time. My insides were churning over, and I felt sick. But I had no intention of handing over my own vulnerability on a plate, only to have it thrown back at me the next time we had a blazing row. “So who is he?”
“What do you care?” Paul glared. His face wore a look of sullen hostility that was no stranger to me. “You haven’t even noticed what’s going on.”
“So tell me.” I sat on the bed beside him but he wouldn’t look at me, keeping his eyes instead on the floor. “Who is this guy?”
“Like you give a toss,” he growled and glanced up at me, “I can’t believe you haven’t noticed a damn thing!”
“Like what?”
“Like…Everything.” He was choking back sobs now. “How she’s started to have her hair done again, for a start, the way she did before Dad died, instead of doing it herself. How she often goes to work dolled up like a dog’s dinner and gets home really late. For crying out loud, she’s only a part-time Library Assistant.  Since when did public libraries open till nearly midnight, eh? Honestly, Rob, are you blind or what?” His expression hardened. “Sorry, I forgot. You spend more time at the café than you do at home. How can you be expected to have a clue about what’s going on under your nose? You care more about that dump than you do your own family!”
I winced involuntarily. Paul’s outburst had hit home. Even so, his anguished expression managed to covey more of a challenge than an accusation. His face was very flushed now, and I couldn’t help noticing how spotty it had become. “Getting your knickers in a twist won’t help anyone,” I remarked acidly, “so suppose you calm down and tell me what you know?”
I waited patiently, apprehensively.